Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Different Kind of Independence

Today in the US we are celebrating Independence Day, one day each year when Americans predictably overindulge in patriotism, BBQ and beer. But today, I'm celebrating something a little different: Freedom of Spirit, and Independence of Mind, and Choice of Nourishment.

Food Freedom
Corporate agriculture in America has become an absolute cesspool. GMOs, pesticides, and factory farms that pump the animals full of antibiotics and unnatural food have created a culture of death. Agribusiness is one of the major users and polluters of our water supply, and the transport of its products uses a tremendous amount of fossil fuels. To make matters worse, it's now illegal to film inside a slaughterhouse, documenting the insane, inhumane processes that go on around the country. People who purchase corporate food are subjecting themselves to a slow, painful death. It's heartbreaking to watch families in the supermarket fill their baskets with processed food that will cause their children to suffer numerous diseases and ailments, maybe tomorrow, maybe next month, maybe next year.

Today, I'm going to celebrate my food freedom by indulging in fresh baby greens picked fresh from my garden an hour ago. I'll throw in some other veges that I bought at the farmers market, and make a big organic salad, and later in the day I'll cook up an olive/carmelized onion omelet using eggs from the chickens I have raised. Now that I've finished my coffee, I'm going to drink only water, fresh and unfiltered, that comes free-flowing from the pure aquifer just below the ground. That will be my food for the day.

I am infinitely grateful for the knowledge & resources to feed myself with this blessed food. 

Intellectual Freedom
America was founded on the separation of religion from politics, but in the past few years that minor aspect of our Constitution has been stomped on and shredded to bits by religious, political zealots. I believe that America only became great because of its diversity; industrialists be damned. It was the melting pot of ideas that made this country magnificent. Tesla, Einstein, MLK Jr, JFK, Maya Angelou, and too many other amazing minds to name.... however they arrived, the imaginations of America's visionaries are what lit the fire that powered the growth of the Dream.

Despite all, we still enjoy more intellectual freedom than most countries in the world, but it only exists for people who ask the right questions. Our schools are trying very hard to shut down curiosity in the minds of our children, and so it becomes our job as adults to keep creativity alive. Its our job to disconnect our kids from the electronic world, because the future of humanity lies in experimenting, feeling, making mistakes, and following the path of our passions. It's our job to keep them asking questions, and answering those questions or at least leading our beloveds to information that will keep them asking more questions.

I am grateful to be the mother of a beautiful, intelligent, warm-hearted son whose curiosity keeps me learning more and more about the world.

Spiritual Freedom
I have truly valued growing up with people of different beliefs, and learning about those beliefs. I've learned equally from Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Aetheists and Christians, and I find brilliance in every faith. I didn't understand, until I first visited a theocracy, what a gift it was to have this upbringing; the ability to ask questions, and disagree, and learn, and respect. In a theocracy, there is no experimentation, you are a follower and that's the end of the story. Theocracies, by their very nature, inhibit creativity.

At this point in time, spiritual freedom in America is being crushed ultra-conservatives from all faiths. The extremity of the belief that there is only one way to worship God will perhaps be the downfall of humanity. Nevertheless, I still have the freedom to learn more about my relationship with life itself, and this freedom to believe as I choose has helped me to grow more than anything else in my life.

I am grateful for my freedom to learn, and grow, and believe as I choose. 

I wish you all the freedom to follow your dreams and use your talents to make the world a better place for our children! Happy Independence Day to all.

Meg Montgomery, founder
IDEABASH.ORG Turn your Ideas into Income and THRIVE in the Changing World!


No comments:

Post a Comment