Friday, March 29, 2013

The Fertility of the Future

In tonight's twilight, I took a walk with my dogs into the backwoods; my familiar terrain. 

I took with me a blue egg from my favorite hen, a 5 year old Araucana, which holds more divinity than any Easter egg ever could. I cradled this egg as I walked down the slope, past the bonfire pit, and stepped down to the waterfall, where thousands of gallons of pure mountain water pour down each minute, being washed and reborn on the rocks. This is my Sacred Place, where I meditate, play music, and watch my son commune with nature.

After a few minutes, my dogs urged me onward, down into the valley. At the bottom of this valley runs the clearest water known to mankind.... rising from 10 springs. At the edges of the stream, the Forget-me-not plants are just greening; the water plays an incessant game with moss growing on the submerged rocks and baby trout dart from one hiding place to the next. If ever Purity existed, this would be it. I quickly dip my hands in and communicate my love for the water.

We continued our walk, egg still cradled in my hand, through hemlock forests, to the next stream. This stream is connected to the stream I will talk about in a minute, but at this point it has gone through a chamber of beaver dams and carries with it the breath of life... of Purpose. I dip my hands and ask the water to bless me. The water is warmer than you would imagine; but utterly clear and full of life. In just a hundred feet, it will meet up with the stream from the waterfall and form a larger stream, rushing downhill and eventually spilling into the Delaware River which provides fresh water to 15 million people.

My dogs and I continue our walk through the forest and into a forced field, above which runs power lines carrying energy from Niagara Falls to NYC. A feeble attempt at renewable energy; MARCY South does more to destruct than to empower, but at the very least it allows us to gorge on sunshine for a few minutes during our walk, before we submerge ourselves back in the forest en route to the Beaver Pond. I still carry the egg in my hand; it's warm and the perfect shape gives comfort to my hand.

The Beaver Pond, according to my neighbor, has been a playground and fishing haven for kids for a hundred years. The pond is about 8 acres altogether, surrounded by thousands of acres of forest and fields. The dam is barely visible, having been flattened by motorcycles and ATVs these past few decades. I have my favorite log that I sit on while my dogs race across the ice, chasing the scent of deer and fox. It's the most peaceful and quiet place I know of. I allow my dogs to wear themselves out before moving on.

The egg is still warm in my hand as I head down the hill. I think back to a recent post I had seen about Ishtar; the goddess of love, fertility and war who is loosely associated with the Pagan celebrations preceding Easter. Eggs have been forever associated with fertility and this symbolism was not lost in me, on this spring-like Good Friday.

I'm reminded that I am giving birth to my own version of the future; introducing a form of WELLTH for those who seek to produce valuable products from their own ideas, skills and experience, with IDEABASH. The egg is a representation of the Infinite Possibility of that Fertility. Before I reach the bottom of the hill, the mud has trapped me and I trip, dropping the egg. Its DNA seeps into the earth and I bless the union of this nutrition with the sacred earth, and whatever life form will use it for sustenance. I don't mourn the loss, but accept the fruition of this egg's purpose.

At the bottom of this hill is the final stream; headwaters of the previous stream I spoke about. It comes down from the mountains, pure and unadultered. Crayfish and trout are shadows among the rocks. At this point, the stream is just emerging from the deep forest into the sunlight and I always stop here and play with the water, exchanging energy. Today, a ring slips off my finger; an old wedding ring from a previous relationship, I kept it as a symbol of my present relationship (my current partner has promised me a new ring).  I leave this little bit of gold amidst the rocks and moss as my pledge to water... the most precious gift of life. I give it my Eternal Love and Gratitude, and the promise that I will forever continue to protect it to the best of my abilities.

The sensation I come away with is playful and jubilant and powerful. I have only gratitude as I return to my home with my tired and happy dogs. My purpose is clear; my friends are dear; my love is near. There is nothing to fear.

There is only a beautiful future to build; having been birthed, it must be nurtured. This is my job as a mother, and wife: to ensure the Fertility of the Future.

No comments:

Post a Comment